Posted to alt.home.repair
John John is offline

Default Electrical code question

On 5/22/2015 6:01 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 4:31:05 PM UTC-5, John wrote:
On 5/21/2015 12:43 PM, Mayhem wrote:
On 05/21/2015 10:42 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
After running two separate circuits for my daughter's dishwasher and
waste disposal, I was told that I could have simply run a three wire
cable (still 2 breakers) from the panel box and fed the appliances
separately.
I understand the concept, but, there would be 2 hot wires and only one
neutral.
Would not that neutral carry twice the current it is designed for?
Thanks for explanations and comments.
Ivan Vegvary

My Whirlpool dishwasher and a KitchenAid disposer are on the same 20 amp
circuit and never had a problem.

I don't know if it meets code but I can't imagine it is unsafe in any way.

Did the same here, running two 20 amp lines seemed silly to me. I did
run them both at the same time right after I installed them to see if it
would trip the breaker while I still had the downstairs wall open. No
problems showed up with both under load.

Here the disposal only runs while we are cleaning off the plates to put
in the dishwasher. The dishwasher isn't turned on until that step is
done so in reality they never run at the same time anyway.

John

If your dishwasher is the type with an electric heating element that's on during the drying cycle, I wonder how much current it draws? 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Overload Monster

Dunno - but the breaker has never tripped.

John