Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical code question

On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 11:43:43 AM UTC-5, Mayhem wrote:
On 05/21/2015 10:42 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
After running two separate circuits for my daughter's dishwasher and waste disposal, I was told that I could have simply run a three wire cable (still 2 breakers) from the panel box and fed the appliances separately.
I understand the concept, but, there would be 2 hot wires and only one neutral.
Would not that neutral carry twice the current it is designed for?
Thanks for explanations and comments.
Ivan Vegvary

My Whirlpool dishwasher and a KitchenAid disposer are on the same 20 amp circuit and never had a problem.

I don't know if it meets code but I can't imagine it is unsafe in any way..

It could trip the breaker if the appliances are run at the same time but that's not a safety issue since it shows you have protection for your wiring. A fuse or circuit breaker on house wiring is there to protect the wiring not necessarily the appliance. A gizmo can short out and burn up without drawing enough current to overload the circuit it's plugged into. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Electric Monster