Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default What is .875 inch as a fraction?

On 05/21/2015 05:32 PM, Shadow wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2015 17:12:33 -0500, wrote:

I need to buy some hose for an old washing machine. I plan top just buy
some plastic tubing called Dairy hose (used for cow milking machines). I
am almost helpless when it comes to math.

The original hose is listed as .875 inch ID.
But that dairy hose is sold as a fraction, such as 3/4". (I know 3/4" is
.750). What is .875 as a fraction?

(I'm guessing around 7/8", but that's just a guess).

Thanks for all help.

To do fractions, put your value over 1, and divide or multiply
both top and bottom by the same number until you have the lowest whole
number possible.

.875/1.000
divide both by 5

.175/.200
divide both by 5

.35/.40

divide both by 5
.7/.8

Can't be divided any further, multiply by 10

7/8
[]'s
(I'm a terrible teacher)

Your method works just fine but all the OP would have had to have done
is enter .975 into a Google search. First hit said 7/8ths