Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default AC condenser/fan refused to come on last night, but today worksfine

On 5/18/15 10:19 PM, noname wrote:
On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 9:25:37 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:
On 5/18/15 8:43 PM, noname wrote:
On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 6:22:20 PM UTC-4, noname wrote:
8YY old Bryant central AC. Moderately used, just popped it on
last night and I noticed even though the blower was running
the condenser and fan outside weren't. Tried each of three
zones, that didn't make a difference. So today I said what
the hell, before I call the service guy I turned it on again,
fired right up. Too chicken to run it for more than a few
minutes.

We've only had it on like once or twice this year, what might
make it behave that way?

After switching your thermostat to Cool, it may wait several
minutes before it will signal the compressor to turn on. That's a
safety feature in some thermostats, to protect the compressor from
being turned on too soon after being turned off.

Ok tail between legs, for 9 years zone 3 only hasn't been turning
on the AC unit because the thermostat was wired wrong! Compared
the wiring to the other 2 zones and the yellow wire is connected
to the wrong post (I think it is Y1 or something).

Gonna switch it over tomorrow when I have better lighting. I
don't have to turn off the power do I ?

If I were going to fool with thermostat wires, I'd first cut the
power to the control unit so I wouldn't damage the compressor.
(see above)

well it is clearly wired differently than the other two thermostats.
How do I cut the power to the control unit is that the white box on
the side of the furnance? Or should I just cut the power to the
house?

In my breaker box, the breaker for the furnace/AC control is marked.
(There's another breaker for power to the compressor.)

There's also a light switch beside the furnace, to shut off power to the
control box and blower. If I remove the cover to the blower compartment
on my furnace, I can see the control box. An LED glows if it has power.

If your thermostats let you switch on the blower without heating or
cooling, you could use that to see if you switched off the right breaker.