Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Need to fill holes in brick and mortar

On 5/17/2015 7:12 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
We had some lights mounted to the brick on our fireplace. My wife says
they have gone out of style and she bought some new ones to take their
place. As luck would have it the mounting holes for the new lights are
not in the same location as the old lights -- not even close.

I need to fill in a couple holes, about 1/2" in diameter in some brick
and also a couple in some black mortar. I hadn't considered using
mortar, maybe I should, but if I don't what would be the next best
product to use?

Thanks.

You have a long thread going for something that is relatively simple.
First thing that comes to mind is latex sanded stucco patch. All big
box stores probably carry it. It is workable and paintable, and with a
little practice one should be able to match texture precisely....either
smoothe with a putty knife or push it in with fingers and dab surface
with a stiff brush to match texture of brick or mortar. A little
acryllic hobby paint to match color. Done. I certainly would not want
to bother with mortar for something so small.

Or if feasible, build a wood something to hold the new fixture and and
run wires behind from the old holes. Or forget mounting lights on the
dang brick and put 'em on the wall or ceiling )