Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solar lights

On 05/18/2015 12:55 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[snip]

It could simply be a loose battery in its holder. A lot of times, cheap, err, inexpensive electronic devices have simple bent metal contacts in the battery

compartment rather than springs. When the device is dropped, the weight
of the battery can flatten out the bent metal contacts. It's a simple
repair to bend a contact back into shape. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Bent Monster

I gave up on those solar lights a couple of years ago. They don't give
much light (getting even worse with age), and are too much work to keep
going, largely from bad battery contacts and batteries that don't last
very long.

I went back to the old WIRED lights. bulbs burnt out every few months,
but replacing them was still less work than with the solar ones and they
gave more light.

Finally, I found LED modules for the wired lights. Better than either.

I know of a few people around here who tried solar lights and don't use
them any more.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The trouble with the world is the stupid are cocksure and the
intelligent are full of doubt." -- Bertrand Russell