Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default New Cell Phone

On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 9:49:40 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 8:31:54 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 9:20:44 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 6:55:22 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 9:41:11 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
Did you ever just want to make a phone call and nothing else?

http://hiconsumption.com/2015/05/the-light-phone/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...he-light-phone

[8~{} Uncle Phone Monster

One critical factor that I don't see stated is what
is the battery life? With ultra-thin design, that would
be an issue. The positioning is confusing too. It
starts off saying it's for tethering to an existing cell
phone. But it looks like it's not really what I would
call tethered, later it says it apparently uses call
forwarding from your other phone, if you want to.

Unless the battery life is similar to what you get
in other phones, I think it will be a hard sell.

I don't have one of those smartass phones, I'm happy with my dumbass phones. I just want to make a phone call and I don't turn my phone on unless I'm going to make a call. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Phone Monster

So what? Battery life still matters. Also, most potential
buyers would want a phone that's on to receive calls too.

I have a digital pager with voicemail. I've had the same number for 25 years and it's number everyone who knows me calls to get in touch with me. I don't use my cellphone while driving so the pager works fine for me. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Beeper Monster

So, what, battery life still matters. The capacity of the battery
determines how many calls you can make and how often it has to be
recharged. If it has substantially less battery life than a typical
phone, which I would suspect from physics, then it's a far more
limited, niche market. Doesn't mean that there isn't a market for
it, but it would substantially reduce the market and viability.
That's all I'm saying.