Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Need to fill holes in brick and mortar

On Sun, 17 May 2015 19:56:01 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2015 18:45:44 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2015 16:31:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2015 18:12:38 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

We had some lights mounted to the brick on our fireplace. My wife says
they have gone out of style and she bought some new ones to take their
place. As luck would have it the mounting holes for the new lights are
not in the same location as the old lights -- not even close.

I need to fill in a couple holes, about 1/2" in diameter in some brick
and also a couple in some black mortar. I hadn't considered using
mortar, maybe I should, but if I don't what would be the next best
product to use?

Thanks.

I can't tell you what to use, but consider you do need to color match.
Doesn't sound like much material is needed. Colored caulk (may not
match) or dye in mortar (same).

Let the wife pick the solution for what appeals to her. It may save
you from getting burned eggs for breakfast :-|

LOL. She doesn't notice things like small holes in fireplace facades,
but just let me look at a nice pair of tits...

Sanded grout works good for patching holes like that - Use a bit of
pigment to tint it to match. Another thing that works sometimes is a
"sanded" silicone caulk if you can buy it in a matching colour. The
sanded caulk has a finish that blends in fairly well - not quite as
good as grout.

Sanded grout is a great idea. I have some left over from a back splash
install a few years ago. Thanks.