Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Can't understand plat

On Thu, 14 May 2015 13:44:46 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

What others are referring to as pipestem lots are called "flag lots" here in IL. the flagpole gives access to a road while the lot is set back from the road by the length of the flagpole up to the bottom of the flag.

Yeah, that's exactly it.

I hadn't heard either term before, even though I myself sort of have a
lot like this. My flag pole / pipe stem is only about 20 feet long, so
it doesn't look so weird or worth commenting on. (although I think my
next door neighbor on my right thinks he owns it.)

My next-door neigbhor on my left also has such a lot, but his pipe-stem
is only 8 feet long or less and barely noticeable, except that it's on
the other side of the sidewalk that goes from townhouse to townhouse.
I think he doesn't even know that he owns the land. (Unless I told him,
but I forget if I did or not.) A neighborhood volunteer mows it when he
mows his own lawn and 2 adjoining neighbors .

cc: homeowner