Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Electric Code question

On Fri, 15 May 2015 16:27:29 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2015 11:51:11 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2015 07:14:21 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote:
Just curious.. In many houses I've owned I've added electrical outlets
by tapping into the electric that comes into the box where the light
switch is.

You have neutrals in your switch boxes in addition to the hot?

Yes. I don't think I've ever seen a house out here without at least
neutrals connecting teh medal boxes. For those I added a pigtail from
the box to the new 3 prong outlet. But even seeing them was over 30
years ago when 2 prong outlets were still common.

That is the ground, not the neutral and you are creating a serious
hazard using it for the neutral. (250.6)

Maybe I miss understood the intent of the original question. The
power into the box is a black and white wire with ground. The white
is Neutral, the black is hot and the bare copper is ground. The
question that was asked was whether there were " neutrals in the box
in addition to the hot". I assumed, and perhaps should not have, that
the question being asked was not really about the neutral wire but
about the ground wire since common old wiring in the houses I've had
sometimes only provided the neutral and hot but often did not provide
any ground connection all the way to the plug, only to the metal
box... so that was the context of my answer.

So to your statement, no, that is not correct, I am not using the
ground as a neutral, I'm using the "white and black" (neutral and hot)
for the power and using the ground for the ground.