Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Paint for exterior window trim?

On Friday, May 15, 2015 at 6:28:28 PM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:
The trim paint on my windows is gloss black. Some of the windows need the
trim to be repainted. The June issue of Consumer Reports has an article
that includes exterior paints. But the chart does not note whether the
paint is oil-based or water-based (aka acrylic). I assume all are
water-based. I have always thought that oil-based paints last longer.

I'm not concerned about the oil-based cleanup. I would simply buy a bunch
of Harbor Freight brushes and toss them out after each use.

Do oil-based paints last longer? Or are oil-based exterior paints no longer
made? If they are made, and they last longer, does any one have a
recommendation?

I haven't done any side by side comparison, but my impression is
that today's good, quality latex paints last as long as oil based.
I haven't used oil in years. Most recently used Benjamin Moore
and it's a great product. I think some folks believe oil has
advantages in certain situations, like maybe as a primer on certain
woods. But for previously painted surfaces, I'd use latex.

Also, any painting authority will tell you that the idea of using
a cheap, disposable brush, is a bad one, regardless of oil or latex.
Those cheap brushes leave brush marks, the bristles fall out into
the paint, they don't hold paint well... They are a real mess.
I'd use them to slop some coating on something where it doesn't matter
what it looks like or where it's some substance that can't be readily
cleaned from a good brush, but never for something like a window.
If you want to use oil, get a quality brush and clean it with mineral
spirits.