Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default SD 9500 stops working, has power

On 05/15/2015 10:44 AM, Mark wrote:
replying to Mark, Mark wrote:
Mark wrote:

When I tried to open the door, it moved about three inches then
stopped. It has 120 to it, 24 v to the wall switch but does not
activate with the wall switch or remote. I waited an hour and no
change. Any Ideas?

Yes it's a garage door, has no safety eyes and the door opens manually
with no trouble other than the weight of it. Genie says it's does not
support this model anymore so I'm leaning towards just replacing it rather
than do a piece by piece thing. Thnaks for your help!

Where was the 120V test taken? Does the light light (assuming it has
one)? That is power to the unit not just the plug/outlet if were faulty
cord/connection.

If the motor doesn't even try on the pushbutton switch, and there is
power, you're down to a fuse perhaps or the controller. If the motor
tries then it's a possible gearing failure causing a lockup or similar.

Tried w/ door disconnect lever pulled?

Oh, last thought...if it were a firmware problem, often unplugging and
leaving for a few minutes then powering back up will cure it -- but if
it does it once it's good bet it'll do it again and become more frequent
unless just had a power glitch or something by happenstance.

BTW, w/o the safety "eyes" it has to be 30-yr or older, roughly. I just
replaced the last one of that age here a year or two ago; it finally did
just give up the ghost and couldn't find any more salvaged old Stanley
controllers to keep it going with (for years the local door shop owner
had a supply of old ones he took out and kept for parts (if you saw his
shop you'd understand he never throws _anything_ out, including trash
) but these were so old he'd run out, too...

I was just as happy w/o them; I always just mount the two together
aligned on a little board and tie it up by the unit out of the way...out
here there's too much other stuff like the stray tumbleweed or whatnot
blowing across the doors at the wrong time to just be too annoying.
With no little kids and a reversing switch anyway, don't see the need.