Default problem with ViewSonic P815-4 monitor

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:30:57 -0500, Mike Berger wrote in
message :

Overall, you'll have better longevity and service from higher end
equipment. All monitors, disk drives, etc. are not alike.

It's funny that people are so concerned about how much turbulence
the monitor will go through when shipped a couple hundred miles, but
they're not concerned about the 8000 miles it travelled from the
manufacturer. They design the boxes to absorb a lot of impact.

Some monitors can take a lot even without a box. For my field work I bought
an original c. 1988 NEC 800x560 TTL/EGA/PGA Multisync when they first came
out that was bounced over hill and dale in a stiff-springed 4x4 field
research lab vehicle (not your Grandma's SUV), powered by generators and
dreadful DC--square-wave converters and floating grounds for five years
without a hiccup.

In about 1992 I bought a used one just like it (but even more beat up) for
personal use that was in daily service until a couple of years ago when
having to manually adjust so that it wouldn't roll at 800x600 (it was only
spec'd to 800x560) became too tedious and I gave it away. 'Far as I know,
it's still connected to a server somewhere -- ~15 years after it was made
and IIRC, back before VGA was even released.

.... Marc