Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Code question

On Thu, 14 May 2015 21:42:05 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 14 May 2015 12:44:21 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

Just curious.. In many houses I've owned I've added electrical outlets
by tapping into the electric that comes into the box where the light
switch is. Usually I put the added electric outlet down by the floor
like most outlets are. Is tapping into the lighting circuit to add
outlets any sort of code violation? The only thing I can think is
that it obviously adds more potential draw to the lighting circuit but
it's still protected by it's breaker so other then the lights going
off if the breaker trips it doesn't matter. Does the code prohibit
mixing lights and outlets on the same circuit or anything? I've had
old houses that actually had a plug as a factory part of the light
fixture over the sink.

There is no restriction to the number of outlets, receptacle or
otherwise on 15 and 20a circuits in general lighting areas. General
lighting means just that, the 15 and 20 amp circuits in the dwelling
and they can serve lights and receptacles. That changes a little in
the kitchen or in bathrooms. but I am guessing that is not what we are
talking about. The issue might be whether there is a neutral present.
If so, no sweat. The other issue will be box fill. Usually the boxes
tend to be full already so adding a circuit will overfill them.

In Canada there is a limit of 8 outlets on a 15 amp circuit. I believe
a maximum of 12 combined outlets and lights..
Ontario code allows lights, for sure.
Each individual light fixtu counts as 1
Ceiling fans: usually count as 3, 1.5 for lights & 1.5 for fan.
Range hoods: count as 2
General purpose receptacles, hallway, living rooms etc: count as 1
Home theater, computer areas: if its a dedicated area, put it on its
own cct.
Garages and outside receptacles: don't go more than 2 per cct,
Sumps: Usually by themselves, but do yourself a favor and put 1
regularly used light on with it (hallway,entry etc) that way if it
does trip you'll know sooner rather than wetter.

Kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms have their own rules which you'd have
to follow.