Posted to alt.home.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Whirlpool GSQ9300EQ0 washing machine needs gearcase oil seal. [Fixed]

trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 12:08:41 PM UTC-4, David Farber wrote:
David Farber wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 2:15:30 PM UTC-4, David Farber wrote:
I have a Whirlpool GSQ9300EQ0 washing machine. When I replaced a
faulty
motor coupler, I found a small amount of gearcase oil leaking onto
the
floor. I did some research and found these diagrams.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ge...sq9300eq0.html

In the gearcase parts blowup, the oil seal reference number is 21.
That
represents part # 3043580. Is that a Whirlpool part number?

Another website shows it as # 334494.
http://www.partselect.com/PS334494-W...Nu m=gsq9300e
which seems to be an update to part # 285352.

I would like to know which part number(s) is correct and if the
oil seal is
two pieces that fit together or one individual piece as shown
here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-2853...em3ce018 bce2
I have not yet disassembled the machine again since installing
the motor
coupler as it still operates ok.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

the bushing or bearing the oil seal is on may be bad. the shaft
moves around too much and leaks.

probably easier to add oil occasionally and shop for a new machine.

how old is your existing machine?

I looked up the serial number. It's from 1998. Even if I had to
replace the entire gearcase, it's still worth fixing.

Thanks for your reply.

I checked the Whirlpool website and found the part number there. It's
285352. I will check the bearing first to see what the situation is
with the shaft.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Since you're a bit unsure as to the seal, one part or two, this
might be a case where taking the old one out, going to a local
shop with it where you can compare it, etc would be worth it.
I'd at least find out how much a local parts supply wants.

I did disassemble it to remove the old seal but that presented another
problem which I described here.
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/...haft-seal.html

Once I was able to remove the old seal, I could see which of the two parts
in the kit was the correct fit for my specific gearcase. This link,
http://www.davesrepair.com/drsn/JanFeb08bi.htm showed the technique used to
remove the seal:

"If replacing the input shaft seal, just run a sheet metal or self-drilling
screw into its edge at 2:00 or 7:00 to remove it, and press the new one in
with a 3/4'' socket."

Scroll all the way down the page. The last photo is the relevant one.

Thanks for your replies.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA