Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default How to define "Electrical"?

On 05/14/2015 02:52 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 5/14/15 3:15 PM, wrote:
The local Goodwill store had a HALF PRICE on all Electrical items
yesterday. The sign read: "Everything Electrical is Half Price Today -
Anything that plugs in".

I got:
Lamp timer with a 120V cord on it.
Computer mouse with PS2 cord/plug
A 6 foot A/V cable (3 wire RCA cable for a VCR or DVD player)
A USB to Mini USB cord for my cellphone.

When I checked out, the clerk said that the only item that plugs in, was
the timer. I explained to her that the computer mouse PLUGS IN to a
computer, the RCA cable PLUGS IN to a TV and VCR or DVD, and the USB
cord PLUGS IN to a computer and cellphone.

She called the manager. He asked her what the problem is.
She said this stuff dont plug in. He looked puzzled, when I said "It
dont say what it's supposed to plug *INTO*", and told hom the same as I
told the clerk (above).

He agreed with me, and said it all looked electrical, and told the clerk
to give me the half price. But said if anything needed batteries, that
would not qualify.

I'm not complaining, but that really is stupid and very vague wording.
Just saying "Electrical" should suffice.....

I'll have to side with the clerk. "Electrical" means "operated by or
producing electricity."

"Electrical" implies that it's something that runs on 115v "house
current" so to speak.

The lamp timer would be such.

Items for the computer etc, would be considered "electronics".

The clerk was technically right. but it could be subject to
interpretation and in a store such as Goodwill...I agree that they
should just be happy top get it out the door...sold.