Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Tape to repair office chair arm

On Sat, 09 May 2015 14:21:57 -0700, Cynthia Moore
wrote:

I have a very old Herman Miller Aeron chair. The right arm rest has
cracked and the cover is tearing. I've tried 2-3 kinds of tape to repair
it, but none work well.

A couple of types of glass tape work well while they last, but the
constant stretching eventually causes them to start to separate.

Electrical tape doesn't have the splitting problem, probably because
it's stretchy itself. But it doesn't stay in place.

The arm rest is removable so I can wrap the tape completely around the
top to the underneath part where it is held in place with a couple of
heavy screws.

Any suggestions for a different kind if tape? I would prefer black as
that's the color of the arm rest.

Thanks, guys ;-)

I took the arms off my chair and put clear silicone sealant into all
the cracked areas and just glued the whole thing back together. It's
mostly held up for about a year. The most leaned on one has cracked
again and I'm going to have to redo it. I would have preferred to use
a Urethane but couldn't find any at the time. In my experience
Urethane is stickier and more durable then silicone plus now that I've
used silicone it may be hard to get a new application of anything to
stick to it. You can buy replacement arm pads from Amazon but you
would need to verify that they would fit. I found some that would fit
(right spacing for screw holes, etc, but they were smaller overall so
I decided to try gluing mine instead.