Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Wills: "Pay all medical expenses" boiler plate?

On 05/14/2015 2:48 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 5/14/15 12:12 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Every will I have seen so far contains boiler plate to the effect that
the executor is directed to immediately pay all medical expenses.

Seems counter-intuitive to me. Why not directives to pay all
lawn-maintenance expenses? All utility bills?... and so-forth.

What is so special about medical expenses - except for the potential for
a feeding frenzy by caregivers plus the huge difference between
insurance/Medicare payments and actual charges?

Seems like a bad idea on the face of it.

What am I missing.

In New Jersey, an attorney can't file an inheritance return until he
knows the amount of medical bills. It may be like that in other places.

In the three states I've dealt with specifically, there was no
distinction on _who_ or _what_ ; but the general rule that all expenses
are paid first before the rest is divvied up amongst the rightful heirs
is a given, yes.

If there's something left, good; if not, well, "too bad, sorry!"