Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] millinghill@yahoo.com is offline

Default Heating finished basement: add hydronic zone or use AC/heat pump?

Hi.

I'm finishing my basement (open floor plan, 800sqft, walk-out, full height, cinderblock walls, no water issues, in New York). It will have 2" EPS insulation on interior of cinderblock walls, covered with sheetrock. I have hydronic radiators in main floor of the house (oil-fired boiler) and I also have just installed a mini-split A/C & Heat pump system for all rooms of house with capacity for one more unit of 18,000BTU. I'm going to install that last one to air condition the basement.

My question is: should I rely on that mini-split to heat the basement, or should I install a new hydronic zone for the basement and install some baseboards?

I just don't want to be done and then have to tear open walls to install pipe and baseboards if it's going to be too cold to watch tv and hang out down there.

All comments and opinions appreciated, especially if based on experience.
Thanks
Theodore