Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default brush mower ignition system

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 6:03:56 AM UTC-4, Frank Thompson wrote:
Where I am now (yesterday) is that I replaced the battery. Battery store verified old battery was no good. I still am having the same problem except I can start engine by shorting across two main leads to solenoid. Once started it runs fine. At least I don't have to had crank that 16 HP engine. I have ordered
new ignition switch from Snapper. That was much trouble because the mergers & take overs (Snapper, Murray, and Briggs-Stratton) affected part number.

So, bypassing the solenoid and applying 12V to the starter, it works.
Next question is, when you turn the start switch, do you have 12V on
the small wire going to the solenoid? Solenoid clicking? If no 12V,
then it's ignition switch, interlock switches, or wiring. If you
have 12V, then the solenoid is bad.

Is there 12V on the wire at the ignition switch when in the crank
position? If no, then it's the ignition switch. If yes, then it's
an interlock switch or the wiring.