Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default Can't understand plat

On Wed, 13 May 2015 20:15:37 -0700, micky wrote:

A friend moved to a more rural area, to a new subdivision.

There are one or more parts of her plat we don't understand.

She and 4 neighbors live on a private road, which comes from a newly
built road. I guess this bigger road has been given to the county, but
she seems to share responsibility for maintaining the private road.
There is a little "bulge" in the public road at the end of it. Not as
big as a cul de sac, and barely big enough to make a u-turn in.

Even though her lot is basically 4-sided, the plat shows 5 bands, each
about 10 feet wide, going side-by-side down the private rood, to where
it meets the public road (which has a bulge at its end.) OTOH, if
one starts at the public road, each band ends when it reached the lot it
is attached to.

Each band is either 10.25', 11,04', or 10.02' for a total of 52.6 feet.
The private road is not that wide, so some of this land is off the road
and looks like it belongs to lot owners along the way.

Do I have to explain further, because I'm having trouble describing
this, or does some one here already know what I'm talking about?

Does she really own a strip of land reaching all the way to the bulge,
or do they all share the road and the plat just represents it that way?

Here in AZ, rural area, EVERY road is private, similar plat plan showing
strips I can't build on. Turns 1 acre into 0.79 acre. Explains why when we
were looking at houses we kept finding weird lot areas.

It is my understanding from a neighbor who has combined 1 acrea with other
lots to make a single 6 acre lot that these lands were govt origin and
they defined strips along at least two side to be allocated for 'public
access' roadways.

Confirmed by thorough explanation from Zoning employees at County.