Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Are roots a danger, how to remove them

writes:

On Mon, 11 May 2015 19:33:58 -0400, micky
wrote:

I suggested cutting a 6" gap in the big roots which would stop them from
growing, but she said something else bad would happen and she told me
what it was, but the phone was noisy and I missed it. Is she right?

Problem A, again. As to getting rid of the roots, would they be hard to
dig up? I assume that even though sub-roots aren't coming out of the
top, they are coming out of the bottom and holding the bigger root in
place, and that every foot will be a struggle.

Trees have roots. You cant have trees without roots. If there's one
particular spot where people trip on the root, toss some topsoil over
it. If you remove roots, the tree will die or can actually tip over from
a storm. There are some things in nature that we can not control!

I think it's very unlikely that cutting one root will kill the tree
or cause it to fall over.

As far as it damaging the foundation, also very unlikely.
Covering the root is just as bad as cutting it.

So, I say cut it if it bothers you. Don't do that to a rare specimen,
but otherwise have at it.

--
Dan Espen