Posted to alt.home.repair
Harold Stinkweed Harold Stinkweed is offline

Default Vibrating water pipes

replying to , Harold Stinkweed wrote:
OK, I know this has been a few years since it's been published, but it was
one of the first results that came up when I searched. I'm hoping that
this might help someone else. It's a very specific and odd solution.

What seemed to have worked for me:
Check to make sure that you don't have an outdoor water hose valve open
(with the sprayer keeping the water from flowing).

My story:
I noticed a rumbling/vibrating noise had appeared suddenly after winter.
The noise was apparent for a few seconds after water was turned on in all
areas of the house (Bathroom, Kitchen, Laundry). After a few seconds of
letting the water flow, it would stop. Sometimes it would occur
immediately after the water was turned off as well. This was especially
noticeable when the washing machine would shut off. I tried shutting off
the main water supply and removing air from the system as Lew of Virginia
had described, but that didn't work.
Finally I realized that I had accidently left the valve to the back yard
water hose open (no water was flowing, the nozzle was shut off). I turned
the valve off and checked to see if the vibration was still present; it
was not. Maybe there was air in the hose, or maybe the hose was flexible
enough to cause the vibration.