Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Mower won't start

On 5/10/2015 8:28 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 5/10/15 11:03 PM, mike wrote:
On 5/10/2015 5:17 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 8:15:06 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 7:02:07 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My first two thoughts are leaky intake valve, and bad
carb to engine gasket. Possibly also choke not closing.

It doesn't have a choke, it has a primer...and you always say a leaky
cab gasket. I've never seen that...I'm sure it does happen, but not
as often as you think.
Tecumseh Engine Model: OVRM120 FAMILY: YTPXS.1951AA Displacment: 195

Does the priming bulb inject fuel into the carb throat when it's pushed?

yes.
That's how I get it running.
Prime it
Shot of starting fluid
Pull the cord a lot
If it kicks over, it will die quickly.
If I can run to the side and start pumping the priming bulb,
I can keep it running long enough to warm up...starts easy after that.

Each time you press the bulb, do you hold it several seconds?

The consensus seemed to be that you push it FAST and about a dozen times.
I've tried every combination of number and speed and force that I can
think of.
Bulb appears to squirt gas out to the input side of the carburetor.

Have you taken the primer apart?

I didn't see the need and didn't expect I'd get it apart without damaging
the rubber part.

The primer seems to be what keeps it running early in the start process.

I didn't mention that I popped the cover and took out the idle jet and
cleaned all that stuff too.

This is all very frustrating because I can't come up with a rational
cause that fits the symptoms.

Only thing I haven't tried is to look at the valves.

If I stuck a compression gauge on it, what should I see at speeds
I can muster with the pull starter?
The compression release is a wild card with which I have zero
experience.