Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Plumbers! Can I hydro jet my 50-year-old orangeberg drain?

On Friday, May 8, 2015 at 9:23:18 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 2:57:40 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 2:55:53 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 12:57:25 PM UTC-4, vwalton wrote:
My guy wants to hydro jet our drain. I know that it transitions at some point from iron to orangeberg, and from what I know of orangeberg I'm afraid that it's likely to blow it out. Is that a legitimate fear?

yep its well know to be a POS...

If its deep, and under high value stuff I would price gettingthe orangeburgh lined

Although I am not a plumber/

it will be hard to sell your home in the future. you will HAVE to disclose the orangeburg

Here we go again. What law says you have to disclose having orangeburg
in the drain pipe system? Disclosure laws vary from state to state, but
I'll bet none require disclosing it. NJ certainly doesn't require
disclosing it, as long as to the best of your knowledge it's
working OK. Most homeowners wouldn't even know what they have it.
Now if whatever pipe he has is getting clogged up regularly, it's
been a continual problem, the underlying cause hasn't been fixed,
then I would agree that would need to be disclosed. But that's
without regard to what kind of pipe it is.

Also, it sounds like it's being assumed that the "drain" is the
sewer, which it may be because he says it transitions from iron,
but it could be some other type of drain, eg, for gutters, etc.
where orangeburg is also used.

my neighbor failed to disclose a known issue witha occasionally faulty sewer line, and sold the home.

some months later the line backed up, the new owner went after the old owner who had to pay 10 grand for a new sewer line. plus restoration of the yard.

all avoidable if she had disclosed it at house sale time.

i sold my moms home some years ago after she died. the disclosure form asked about every home system, and one disclosure question was does it have orangeburg?