Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Kohler engine over revving

On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 8:10:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 7 May 2015 11:26:22 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have a lawn tractor with a Kohler Courage engine. Recently the engine began surging and after looking for guidance I adjusted the governor as per kohler manual. Since I made the adjustment the engine revs at full speed on both low and high settings. I have also reset the throttle cable but there has been no change. Any ideas on what my problem is.

First guess is you misread the instructions.

When fiddling with that kind of thing, it's best to to first record
where you started from, make adjustments just a small bit at a time,
and then see if it gets better or worse. Sometimes the manual just
has the general adjustment procedure, starting from scratch, assuming
it was never adjusted to begin with. Which should work, but if it
was working OK, then it shouldn't have taken much to adjust it.
Typically when it goes from fine to bad suddenly, it's more likely
something else, eg debris stuck in the mechanism. Fuel problem can
also cause surging. Not clear if the running full throttle part is
with or without a load, but if it runs full throttle with load, then
I'd say it's not fuel related.