Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring a 480V Single Phase Circuit

Greg Epperson wrote:
replying to HA HA Budys Here, Greg Epperson wrote:
hahabudyshere wrote:

"Single phase" 480 is just like single phase 240 residential service,
only

at a
higher voltage. It's called single phase because the voltage is derived

from
center tapped transformer fed from one single primary. I've never seen
a single phase 480v service. 480 is commercial/industrial

in
nature and it's generally supplied as 3 phases.

480 single phase is simply using 2 of the 3 hot legs. Phase to phase is
480, Phase to ground is 277vac which we use only for lighting.

It's funny how these old threads pop up now and then.
But anyhow, single phase in my little world can be 480 line to line
and 480 line to ground. I think it's called corner ground delta.
Some rural utilities here in Nebraska use it to supply irrigation well
motors.
We run four wires from the service disconnect to the pump panel.
The neutral and equipment ground are connected in the meter. The
grounded leg isn't generally supposed to be fused.