Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fllag burning

On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 1:30:32 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
On Wed, 6 May 2015 23:19:27 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 12:01:21 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
On Wed, 6 May 2015 21:50:14 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 9:42:31 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
On Wed, 6 May 2015 18:32:18 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 1:19:54 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
If you burn a flag, probably a cotton flag, on the steps, probably
limestone steps?, of city hall or the federal building, and you get soot
etc. on the steps, how long does the dafacement last?

Assuming the fire is only a millimeter or less above the steps, is there
actual damage, or only soot deposits on top of the stone?

If you're inferring a U.S. flag, I've never seen one made of cotton.

I guess I'm thinking of my own. Which my father bought probably in
1945. I think it's cotton. Plus the larger flag that was on his
coffin. That is still folded up but it feels like cotton. They both
have only 48 stars.

Those I've seen were made of some man made fiber like nylon.

By golly you're right.

Burn something like that and you will produce sticky gobs that will be hard or easy to remove depending on the smoothness and/or porosity of the stone. o_O

This is significant, I think, except now I can't remember why I asked
the question in the first place, even though it was only 10 hours ago.
I know it has something to do with the news or my everyday life. Maybe
I'll remember by tomorrow.

[8~{} Uncle Patriotic Monster

My parents are buried at Arlington National Cemetery because both were in The Army during WWII. You may be thinking about flag burning because of the debate over freedom of speech/expression which has been running through the news media following the Islamofascists being put down in Texas during their terrorist attack on a group of people drawing cartoons of Mohammed.. I seem to recall, from back in the 1990's, a fight for the right of the Leftists to burn the American Flag during anti-government demonstrations. I do believe there was a decision by the court that flag burning was a form of free speech thus allowed. Islamofascists, much like the Progressive Liberal Leftists Commiecrat Freaks, believe in the freedom of speech as long as it only applies to THEIR speech. 8-)

I don't agree with you regarding Leftists, some of whom I would just
call liberals. I woudn't burn the US flag but I was never that naive,
so I didn't have my heart broken when the US got involved in a war it
couldn't win within the rules it was playing by, etc. Since my heart
was never broken, my affection for the flag remained undiminished. .

[8~{} Uncle Dissident Monster

You're right!. Thanks for reminding me. I hadn't fogotten about flag
burning and the 60's (the 90's?) but I'd forgotten what came next in my
train of thought. It's fading away again but has soemthing to do with
what always strikes me as important, any permanent even if very small
damage that is done. I'm not offended by someone burning the flag... I
truly see it as a matter of freedom of speech, but I'm outraged if they
were to leave permanent burn marks on the steps (For some reason, they
always do it on steps.maybe because the front of the US Capitol has so
many steps and the guards wouldn't let them go all the way up. )

If the P.L.L.C.F. burn a flag that they have purchased with their own money and don't damage any property except what they own, I have no problem with their demonstration but if they take down the courthouse flag or any flag off public property then burn it,

I don't think anyone ever took down a courthouse flag. They always came
with their own flag that they had bought with their own money.

But did they bring their own barbeque grill and not cause any damage to property where they burned said flag? If so I may be a bit offended but I have no Constitutional right to not be offended. I may have a faulty memory but I seem to recall some demonstrators actually pulling down a flag from a flagpole on public property. It could have been college students on campus? Oh well, I could do a lengthy Internet search. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Forgetful Monster