JURB6006

Default Can thunderstorms damage a CRT ?

I've had this before. It was a Sony and was so evenly magnetized that the
colors were interpolated, but the purity was actually good. The degausssing
coil couldn't handle it, nor could an external one. What I wound up doing was
wiring a variac right to the DG coil and cranking it all the way up and
bringing it down slowly.

I have read warnings about using to strong of a degausser on a Sony, but it
seems that might apply more to the magnets rather than the CRT itself, plus in
this case there was really no other choice but to rotate the color drives. That
would be ridiculous.

Basically the variac trick worked just fine.

JURB