Ryan

Default problem with ViewSonic P815-4 monitor

Since I've never had a monitor go bad on me before,
I went ahead and invested the big bucks on a really nice 21" monitor.
Now that I've learned my lesson, I don't think I'll be doing that again.
I'm going to buy mainstream hardware (not state-of-the-art).
BTW, I also built my own system and am usually very gentle with
my equipment. The only banging that this monitor might have
gone through is during shipping since I bought it online,
which people advise against. So, I may be paying a little more for
the monitor if I don't buy online. But, I'll be able to easily return/exchange it.

For now, I'm staying with a CRT since I don't believe that
LCD technology is mature enough yet. There's still too many
problems with faulty/defective pixels. And, the price is
a factor as well.

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 06:52:52 GMT, "Ryan" pixelated:

My expectations might have been higher with this monitor since
I spent so much on it. Also, I've never had a monitor go bad on
me before. But then, my employers probably never gave any
monitor enough time to go bad.

I usually upgraded computers within that time and have gone
from 14 to 15 to 17 to 19" in that time. One 14-incher got
flaky and the ADI focus coil got loose, but I've been fairly
lucky with monitors, too. I probably smack them less than
other folks since I used to build systems and understand 'em
more.

For ~$150, the KDS Visual Sensations VS-190IS (19'', 1600x1200, .25mm)
seems like another good candidate to look into.

I see that prices have dropped again since January. Wow!

Any other suggestions/comments out there?

I suppose that digital LCDs would be OK for h/a
display but I don't like them for design work or
watching movies. My satellite system showed me
the limitations of removing too many colors. I'm
guessing that the dark backgrounds in scenes are
posterized from a combination of video compression
and color reduction. LCDs are still more costly,
too.

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design