Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blown In Attic Insulation

On 5/3/2015 6:19 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
My brother is in a house where roof damage from falling trees caused leaks that got the blown in cellulose insulation in the attic wet. This in turn damaged the sheetrock ceiling causing a lot of it to collapse making quite a mess. The sheet rock has been replaced but the attic needs to be reinsulated.
Does anyone out there have experience with blown in cellulose insulation and any tips I can pass on to my brother. It's a smallish 2 bedroom house and the attic hatch seems to be large enough to get a man and blower hose up there but neither of us has experience with installing blow in insulation. It's my understanding that the big box stores will loan or rent the equipment with a purchase of bags of the insulation. I'd appreciate any input. 8-]

[8~{} Uncle Attic Monster

I've worked with blown cellulose, twice. The lessons
hard learned include

1) dust mask and good lighting are a good thing
also eye goggles are good.
2) keep the air opening on the machine wide open.
Trying to blow too rich a pattern clogs the hose.
It takes longer to dispense the cellulose, but
the tube doesn't clog as much, and you have less
down time and cussing time.

On the other kind of machine, keep the cellulose
fed about 1/4 open, you want lots of air and not
much cellose.

3) two inch PVC vent pipe left over from a HVAC
job extends the tube, use lots of duct tape.

4) My 2 9/16 inch holesaw makes a nice notch on
end of two by four, so the guy holding up the PVC
doesn't keep having the two by slipping off the
PVC tube.
5) start at the far end of the job, and work
back towards the attic hatch.
6) Your working space needs a way to let out the
air, you'll be blowing in a LOT of air
7) If it starts to rain, and the machine gets
wet, the store is not pleased with you.
8) At your friend's house, make sure he goes up
there and has someone clear out all the furniture
cause the last owners were pack rats.
9) It is not totally needed to use the machine.
You can carry bags up, and break up the grey stuff
by hand, if you really want to.

I'll think of more items, tomorrow.

--
..