Posted to alt.home.repair
FrozenNorth[_5_] FrozenNorth[_5_] is offline

Default anyone ever drill out a lock?

On 5/2/2015 7:46 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 5:46:13 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/1/2015 8:29 PM, bob haller wrote:
I repair office machines and one of my customers has a rolling cart they lost the key for, and they now want use the stuff in that cabinet.....

I tried getting keys from the cabinet supplier but they didnt work...

has anyone ever drilled out a lock?

I would rather avoid damaging the cabinet much. and other than flip or flop have never seen anyone drill out a lock. on flip or flop they just start drilling, but never show what happens.

I've been a locksmith since 1986 or so.

The cabinet probably has a very simple lock. If you
can load the cabinet in a vehicle, call the locksmiths
near you, see if one will let you bring it in. Save
yourself a trip charge. Should be able to make new
keys easy enough. Or, I can come out. Dollar fifty a
mile (one way from Buffalo, NY). Probably half hour
labor to make new keys.

Hi Guy, I've seen numbers stamped on the front of many of those locks and I was sure the locksmith at a lock and key shop could look it up and cut a key. I saw a locksmith open a ford one time by inserting a key blank in the lock, tapping down on the end of the key, looking at it then using a corner file cutting slots, inset, wiggle, tap again, file and on and on. The guy opened the locked car in a matter of minutes. I think the owner had actually lost the key which is the reason the locksmith did what he did rather than use a slim jim. I always have a spare door key on my belt in case I lock my keys in the car. Something I've done in the middle of nowhere. 8-]

My wife carries the spare car key, now as long as I never lock my keys
and my wife in the car, I am probably safe. :-)