Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default anyone ever drill out a lock?

On 5/1/2015 8:29 PM, bob haller wrote:
I repair office machines and one of my customers has a rolling cart they lost the key for, and they now want use the stuff in that cabinet.....

I tried getting keys from the cabinet supplier but they didnt work...

has anyone ever drilled out a lock?

I would rather avoid damaging the cabinet much. and other than flip or flop have never seen anyone drill out a lock. on flip or flop they just start drilling, but never show what happens.

I can't speak for a rolling cart but I have drilled out a few file
cabinet locks because of lost keys. I start with small bits into the
center of the core and increase bit sizes until it reaches the tumblers
then pow, the cylinder pops out. In many cases the lock assembly can be
replaced but the office personnel doesn't care and just leaves it that way.