Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default self built carport?

On 04/30/2015 11:12 PM, wrote:

The weather bureau claimed it was probably an isolated small (skipping)
tornado, but they were not able to prove it it was a tornado or not. Our
house (100 ft away and several neighboring buildings, had shingled
ripped off parts of the roof, some broken windows and other damages.
Two farms away there was no damage. But about a mile away , and several
more miles there were similar damages. (Thus the skipping).

My point is this: If I had used 6x6's, and put concrete around the
posts, I think it would have stayed intact. Of course I'll never really
know...... But with those open sides, and the wind came from that
direction, it just became like a plastic bag, where the wind blows into
the end and carrys it away. If it was not for a sturdy metal kids swing
set which appeared to stop it, the whole shed may have crashed into the
house.

BTW: It took a crane to upright it and get it back to where it belonged.
Plus new posts and much of the metal on the roof had to be replaced.

If it was a tornado, I doubt if even 6 x 6's would have stood up.

Reminds me of the time my friend built a 2x4 stall for his (immature)
bull, then ask me to help him shove pills in it's mouth.

It ran through the stall like it was made of paper.

Next week he conned me into helping him again and made the stall out of
4x4's and it looked damn sturdy to me.

No problem, the bull just kicked out the side of the barn and left the
scene.

I did not bother to help my friend again.