Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT Property taxes

On 4/30/2015 9:23 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Every student graduating high school should know that 8 x 8 =
60something. But they have no business telling a parent what to pack
for lunch. That is an intrusion.

And do you think that any state in the union, any local school
district, disagrees that every graduating school student "should"
know what 8 x 8 is? If the locals and the state can't properly
educate the students, why would you think the feds sticking their
nose in will? What's the fed govt's track record at "fixing" any
similar issues in the last 50 years? How many fed initiatives,
eg Headstart, have we had in education and all the while the
results are worse, not better? We didn't have a DOE at the federal
level until 1979. Now it has 5,000 employees and a $60bil budget,
Has education gotten better, or worse?

What "is" and what "should be" differ greatly. If proper basic
standards were set by the Feds, they could eliminate much of the state
and local bureaucracy. Government never replaces, they just add on.

Our school systems on every level with a few exceptions do a poor job.