Posted to alt.home.repair
John G[_8_] John G[_8_] is offline

Default self built carport?

I'm interested in build a carport as practice for building two
porches. The home owner states that the carport is to be about 22'
wide and 26' long. Big enough for a Toyota Rav4 and a Chevy Express
2500 van.

I understand putting posts in the ground to support the structure
at the corners. Because of the lengths of the respective sides, do
I also needs posts in the middle of each side to support 2"x8"
lumber? That would make eight posts in all of 4"x4" pressure treated
lumber. If I do add a post in the middle of each side, how do I
join (or do I) the joists at the center post?

I plan to make a simple gable with 1"x4" purloins for corrugated
roofing. All the lumber where possible should be pressure treated.

There will be no electricity or other grid services in this carport.
Just a place to put a car out of the weather.

Other than my massive inexperience with this, what else should I
consider and research?

TIA

Mike

Usually when a permanent structure is built, plans need to be submitted to the town for approval and permits need to be issued. Since you have no idea what to do, I would suggest that you hire an architect to draw your plans for the town. You can build from the plans as the items that you asked about will be specified on the plans.

John Grabowski
http://www. MrElectrician.TV