larrymoencurly

Default Panasonic VCR quit playing back in hi-fi stereo, still records in hi-fi stereo

(u1061771156) wrote in message ...
Could just be the heads wearing out, as they get marginal then
record+playback on the machine will be worse than interchange with
another VCR as the signal goes through the marginal head twice.
Hifi audio is often the first thing to fail, due to the way audio is
written first then partially overwritten by the video.

Do you feel the picture is as good as it always was? If you play back a
tape recorded a while ago, is it getting more sensitive to tracking
adjustment than it used to be?

The picture still looks good, better than that of my lightly used JVC
HR-S4600U SVHS recorder, regardless of which VCR created the tape, and
there are no tracking problems, but when I fast reverse, some tapes
give nothing but a blue screen, and it's more likely to happen near
the beginning of the tape than near the end. Could that be back
tension? I can see the tape act jumpy where it exits the drum when
that happens, and the pin that seems to check back tension jerks
around a lot. The felt strips around the hubs can't be adjusted on
this machine.