Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Check connetions and dust first

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney:
So I pulled out the bard and saw the top had a good 1/16 inch of dust. Brushed it off good with a dry toothbrush, put it back in and working again.

Brushed off? Beware of static discharge which can damage something
without even knowing it. I always wear anti static strap on my wrist
and I'd not brush anything, just vacuum or use compressed air
spray can. If board is taken out, I put it on anti static mat
which is connected to wrist strap. My old habit.

This finally dawned on me when troubleshooting my #1 daughter's PC.

She breeds and raises Bernese Mountain Dogs.... long hair and lots of
it.

Moving the PC from the floor to a table seems to have helped
significantly, but hair/dust buildup is always the first thing I look
for now.