Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home?

Sqwertz wrote:
Danny D. wrote:

If I simply buy a $2,000 meat slicer, I'm sure I'll be happy with it; but,
to get one for less than a hundred will take the advice of others who have
actual experience in the lower end models.

Questions will arise such as blade material and type, diameter, motor power,
etc., that I don't even know to ask yet.

If you just want ham slices, use a knife.

But if you want serious feedback which you won't get here on Usenet
RFC, try the Facebook group:

Bull****, they're the know nothings who couldn't make it here who were
too embarrased to demonstrate their ineptitude.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thesaltcuredpig/

I've always wanted a commercial meat slicer.

Which proves you have no business in a kitchen.

Why? They're expensive, very expensive for a true commercial machine
(well over a grand), take up a lot of space, very heavy to move, and a
bitch to clean... plus for anyone who is a klutz with a knife who
can't slice bologna by hand it would be far too dangerous to be using
a motorized meat slicer... many deli clerks are missing finger tips.
But there are simple tricks for slicing deli at home; a sharp knife is
essential, much safer/controlable than a dull knife... and for home
slicing, fancy not being too important, first slice the hunk of
bologna in half longitudinally, creating a flat for steadiness helps a
lot plus slicing through less depth makes it far easier to control
thickness... can do the same with a canned ham or roast beef, start by
slicing in half to create a flat and shorten the slicing depth by
half... who gives a ratz b-hind if you build a sandwich with half
slices of salami... you'll not see or taste any difference... and
eventually you'll gain skill so won't require the training wheels
technique, you'll be able to slice full sized thin, even slices of
even 8" diameter mortadela. Personally I have no use or need for a
slicing machine at home, in fact I wouldn't want one for free... they
are a BITCH to clean. Also, when one cooks a large roast beef for
entertaining nine times out of ten the butcher at the store where you
purchased it will have it machine sliced for free... always a good
idea to introduce oneself to the store's meat department staff...
custom ordering larger roasts than one typically finds in the display
ensures better quality cuts, and not something that was cut and
wrapped the day before. None of yoose douchebags need a slicing
machine, yoose ALL need a decent sized electric meat grinder.
Yesterday morning I bought a gorgeous ten pound top round roast, soon
as I got home I sliced it into two 5 lb roasts, froze one and ground
the other, great 12 oz burgers for dinner, on kaiser rolls... got four
more 12 oz burgers in the freezer.