Posted to alt.home.repair

Default are bathtub drain rings replaceable?

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:55:40 -0700, T wrote:

On 04/21/2015 05:23 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 20:55:41 -0700, T wrote:

On 04/19/2015 02:05 AM, micky wrote:
On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 23:19:41 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

The chrome plated brass ring around my bathtub drain is starting to
deteriorate/corrode. Are these things easily replaceable?

Many thanks,
-T

Yeah, but I think you have to take the bathtub out to do it!

I wonder if there is some way to sand and refinish it, in place. Or
maybe paint it or glue a piece of chrome-colored lucite on it??

Or remove all the chrome and maybe it will look nice as brass? Is it
really brass, if it's corroding?

It is brass. I think it was reacting to a cedar berry pit I
was chewing on, got lose and got caught by the hair trap.

As long as it is not seized or baddly corroded, the "ring" can be
removed and replaced There is a rubber washer between the draun
fitting and the bottom of the tub - don't let it get away. I have
replaced severak over the years. Mabee it's just luck, but I have
never had a serious problem.

Thank you.

Does your water dislike brass?

Not terribly bad on brass, but it eats zinc die castings for
breakfast!!!.