Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default anyone here use... heating loops in concrete driveway/sidewalk?

It takes at least 1200 BTU to melt ice to 1 gallon of water.

Does snow melt quicker than a block of ice?

I would tend to think so since it's mostly air space. Just like a bag of
crushed ice melts faster than a solid block of ice. Increased surface area.

Also, since it takes roughly 10 inches of snow to equal 1 inch of water
(melted down), it seems like the run off would be minimal. Certainly no
more than a typical rain shower.

Ideally, the driveway heating would be turned on when the snow starts so it
never has a chance to build up in the first place. It would melt as soon as
it hit the driveway.

Of course, even if you manage to keep your driveway completely clear,
you'll still have snow out on the street. Even if the street is plowed,
they're probably not going to clear the road right up to your driveway.

I live in a rural area and the snow plow usually creates a large berm of
snow right at the top of our driveway. Some winters that berm has been as
high as four feet. Even if my driveway was clear I would have to dig my way
through the snow berm.

The best option is to simply avoid driving anywhere when it snows. Take a
day off, or work from home if you can. Obviously, that's not an option for
most people.

Otherwise, a snowblower has worked best for me. I started with a small
electric model which worked great for the sidewalks and areas around the
house. But I had to get a gas powered snow blower for my 200ft driveway and
that berm at the top.

Thanks to a changing climate, we haven't had a significant snow fall in the
last few years. I never even used the snow blower this winter.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com