Posted to alt.home.repair
Paulie Paulie is offline

Default Toilet Broken Overflow Tube

replying to Speedy Jim, Paulie wrote:
volks wrote:

Get the finest tooth hacksaw blade. Break off
one end, so that you can work the teeth in closer.
Hold the blade vertical inside the brass fitting.
(Use a good glove)
Scrape the threads with the teeth as you revolve
the blade around the fitting opening. With some
effort and patience you should be able to extract
the broken brass threads.
Take the old tube to a big hardware store
(I doubt that BigBox will be much help.)
There are 3 different Refill tube (Overflow) diameters.
Match one up. Saw cut to proper length.
Use sealant (Loctite) on the threads.
Jim

Jim - Well its been a lot of years since you posted this fix, it worked
like a charm for me too! We have a 1926 Camden Pottery toilet that was
original in our Boston home and still working great today. I thought for
sure I was going to have to replace the entire flush valve and crack those
ancient nuts on the elbow connecting our wall mounted tank to the bowl. I
had no idea that their were threads and this method was great time-saver!
Less than $4 for a new brass overflow valve, an Old Milwaukee mini Hacksaw
for less than $15 and a pair of 32 TPI fine hacksaw blades for $3 and I
was all set. I thought I was going to have to keep scraping the threads
until they were gone, but using a headlamp I thought I saw them rotate
and, sure enough, I was able to rotate them out in one piece by hand.

Thanks so much Speedy Jim!