Loren Coe

Default Can thunderstorms damage a CRT ?

In article , jakdedert wrote:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Clifton T. Sharp Jr." writes:

Jerry G. wrote:
It would take a very large lightning hit to magnetize or damage a CRT.
The set would have been destroyed first! I think the screen became
magnetized, and should be able to be demagnetized.

[....] to degauss; I was amazed when it fixed the problem.

Yes, the effects of a close lightning strike and nuclear EMP might be very
similar (at least in terms of magnetization of a CRT!).

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/

I had a strike around eight years ago which took out many, many electronic
devices in my home. Partial list includes vcr (no audio...video fine),

[....]
It literally blew my neighbors telco interface box off the wall of his
house...blew the bark off a stately old oak tree in my back yard (3" strip
running radially from the ground up to about 20'...mostly healed over now,
but I wonder if it will ultimately kill the tree).

this is the common result of tree strikes, in the Mt's of NM they
call it "cork screwing". the step up from this is when the trunk
actually explodes as the sap is vaporized inside the tree.

--Loren (formerly from Cloudcroft, NM)