Stein-Olav Lund

Default Can thunderstorms damage a CRT ?

Jerry G. wrote:
It would take a very large lightning hit to magnetize or damage a CRT.
The set would have been destroyed first! I think the screen became
magnetized, and should be able to be demagnetized.

This summer we had some thunderstorms here, luckily we don't have many.
The TV was on (counting seconds between flashes and thunder were typ.
10-20 seconds)
Suddenly it came closer, I heard a faint 'snap' which came from the area
where the TV and VCR was. The TV had a strange image: Green circle
inside the edges of the screen, 'dirt brown' colours inside this circle....
I immediately switched off and disconnected power and antenna plugs,
thinking 'why didn't I disconnect it at once'..
Later, when the storm passed, I connected the equipment again and
switched on. Luckily, the TV was fine again, the screen had probably
been magnetised as you said, but the power-on degaussing seemed sufficient.
As for the 'snap' I haven't found any visible or measurable faults...

Stein