Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default All aluminum versus copper/aluminum coils for air conditioner?

On 4/19/2015 9:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Seems kind of odd that Carrier would switch to copper from aluminum
on the theory of making some more money. If your evaporator goes
at 8 years, how many customers are going to go with another Carrier
or even an evaporator replacement? At that point, most people are
going to get a new system and it likely wouldn't be Carrier. Also
given the cost delta between copper and aluminum, I find it hard
to believe it's even true that Carrier went back to copper coils,
unless there is some other valid reason for it.

Things have probably changes since I worked for a company that made
coils. Back then, they were copper and full aluminum was just starting
to be made by a couple of companies. The only reason they changed was
cost.

We had been making copper coils for many years and it would have been
costly to change over with all the equipment involved and we did not
make large quantities of a given size like Carrier. We did specialties
from 6" x 6" to 4' x 20' For tubing we used copper, brass, cupro-nickle