Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Alternate electric charges

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 22:41:30 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 06:41:14 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 7:58:35 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 4/17/2015 6:57 AM,
wrote:

Getting to the "meat" of this message, I never heard of anyone getting
an alternate electric company. The wires are coming from the company
that supplies my area, so how can I change companies?

But I'm going to ask if this is possible, and how does a person locate
other "legitimate" companies. If this is possible anywhere in the US, I
really want to dump my electric company.

So, I'd change in a second. How do I google alternatives, or look in a
phone book, etc? (If it's possible).

In PRNY, they call it an "esco" or energy supply company.
I've forgotten where you are, but including ESCO in your
search field may help.

.

There are alternate suppliers here in NJ too. I get
solicitations in the mail all the time. The fact that Jerr
isn't would suggest that there may not be any in his area.
I guess it depends on the state utility authorities. And I
would think googling for "alternate energy suppliers" together
with the state and/or name of the power utility would find
them if they exist.

I doubt he's missing out on any big savings. The power is
about 1/2 the bill and as others have noted, the difference in
rate isn't huge. You might wind up saving 5% or so, which still
could make it worthwhile I guess.

It appears this is only allowed in these states:

* District of Columbia
* Illinois
* Maine
* Maryland
* Massachusetts
* Michigan
* Montana
* New Hampshire
* New Jersey
* New York
* Ohio
* Oregon
* Rhode Island
* Pennsylvania
* Texas

From:
https://www.electricchoice.com/electricity-quotes/

Thanks. Good to know. (For a while it looked like I'd have to
order new fence rails from Montana. )

I was a lot more polite to these guys than to the ones calling from
Microsoft to rid me of viruses, etc. They're pushy and presumptuous
but not doing anything illegal and might actually save people money.