Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner- fix or place?

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 22:02:46 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

My concern is that they didn't really check out the air conditioner and do the "20 point" inspection. They said everything else was within standards, but come on, could something this old still be within standards. Nothing else on the thing needs work except for more Freon?

My old ac unit was 40 years old and had only had freon added once -
and was still working well, when I replaced it with a newer more
efficient unit.

Sometimes you can find a leak just by looking for oily trace. When the
freon comes out it oftem takes a little bit of the refrigeration oil
along out with it - particulatly if the leal is in the bottom "corner"
of the condenser or evaporator. In auto A/C you can often locate leaks
that way that don't even sho up with a "sniffer"