Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Fastening PVC

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 1:53:36 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:50:03 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 1:39:48 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 13:05:53 -0400, Pat wrote:

I have installed PVC pipe many times over the past decades and know
how to apply the glue. However, the project I am working on right now
is a little different. I am using black 1.25" "furniture grade" PVC
from formufit.com to build a frame for a large awning.

I have built what I want but have not glued it together yet. Due to
the tight fit, it almost stays together well enough without any glue.
The thought of pulling each joint apart, glueing it, and then putting
it back together scares me. I realized I have no idea how long it
takes the glue to set up. For water pipe, I clean it, apply the glue,
push it together and then leave it alone for a few hours. But, for
this project, how long do I have to rotate joints before the glue is
set? 10 seconds? a minute? 10 minutes? I have no idea.

So I have two questions:

1. How long do I have after applying the glue to work with the joints
before the glue sets? (if it is a very short time, is there slower
glue available?)

How could it matter? Just push the pipe into the connector. Takes 4
seconds. By the time you get to the next joint, the first will be
firm enough not to get messed up.

It matters when you have several fittings where they essentially
have to be done at the same time to assemble it. If the first one
sets up before you get to the last one, there won't be a last one.

Very unlikely to be a problem on a large awning.

Maybe so, but we don't know how exactly it has to come
together. All I know is that he says he has a lot of
experience with working with PVC and he's looking for
glue that will give him more working time. Having to
assemble several critical joints essentially all at once
is the only time I've ever wished that there was a glue
with a slower cure time. So, I've been there and giving
him the benefit of the doubt. It sounds to me like maybe he
doesn't want to assemble one corner, then find out it
needs to be moved a bit when he gets to the next corner
to make it line up, etc. If that isn't the problem,
then the question makes no sense.

..
If perchance one would come apart,
you could use a knife or sandpaper to remove the glue before trying
again.

Good luck with that.

Well, it's not going to happen anyhow.

Good thing, eh?