Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default after installing toilet found too close to wall,H20 tank wont fit right, need 2in+

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 14:45:39 -0500, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

On 4/14/2015 4:35 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 08:45:51 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

There are offset flanges available. They are usually 2" and, I think,
were designed to adapt 14" (wall to waste pipe) toilets to 12" and vice
versa. I used one in a very small powder room where the toilet was
deliberately put in a place so that the door would clear when opening
inward. I changed the door to a pocket door and re-did the cabinets.

You mean they didn't just cut a hunk off the bottom of the door so it
would clear the toilet?

Yes, in my years of working as a plumber, I saw this several times!

Years ago, a coworker of mine hired a handyman to replace her toilet.
The handyman failed to check out the existing toilet/bathroom first.
He replaced a round bowl commode with an elongated model. Problem was
just as you've described - it was next to the door, so now the door
hit the rim of the new toilet. The handyman's solution: he cut a slot
in the door at the level of the bowl.

And that, folks, is an example of how hiring a handyman can be a
buyer-beware experience.

Before I became a plumber, I worked as a handyman. That is how I got the
plumbing job. But anyhow, I would have never considered doing such a
thing. I always did things right. In fact I got a few customers wanting
me to do a half assed slop job, thinking it would be cheaper. I would
explain that it would NOT be cheaper, if I had to use junky materials or
patch together a faucet that was clearly overdue for replacement, and so
on. If they insisted on getting a slop job, I usually told them to find
someone else to do the work. I had plenty of work, and did not need to
do jobs which would cause me problems. Doing a half assed job only
invites callbacks, and then they expect the callback work for free.

Anyhow, like everything, there are good and bad workers as well as their
customers.

But yea, I did see more than one door cut to fit around a toilet, and
more than once I was called just to do something about this issued by a
new home owner who bought the house with the cut away door. I recall one
where there was no way to get a toilet that would fit, so after
discussing this with the owner, the solution was to replace the door and
frame, and make the door open outwards, which worked fine.