Posted to alt.home.repair
FrozenNorth[_5_] FrozenNorth[_5_] is offline

Default Fence Questions, Please ?

On 4/15/2015 4:43 PM, Bob wrote:
Hi Folks,
Great Group.

Thinking of a fence for our backyard.
Know nothing about fences.

Want an "open look," so I guess that means a chain link type of.
Other suggestions ?

What material should I consider for a chain link type ?
What is popular ?
What are the options, and pros and cons ?

e.g., does the Vinyl coated steel (I imagine it's steel underneath)
make any sense ? Pros and cons of ?
Is the steel underneath Galvanized, or do they skip this step if Vinyl
coated ?

What about just Galvanized Steel ?
Does the Galv. hold up, or needs painting (often) ?

BTW: For a typical home backyard kinda thing, are the Posts put in
Concrete for a "good" job ? How deep should they be ?

Any and all thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated.

My parents put one in 1974, when they sold the place 30 years later
there was starting to be some rust, this was the non vinyl chain link,
not sure, but I believe it was galvanized.
All posts really should be in concrete, but especially corner and end
posts. You will not get that life from a wood fence, no matter how much
maintenance you give it, at least here in Canada.